Friday, September 28, 2012

New port, new concerns

Annika was admitted on the 24th, and had her IV port put in. She woke from the surgery in a lot of pain. We had to give her morphine to get it under control. Once she slept, and we kept topping her up on tylenol and advil, we managed to keep the pain under control. While we where in London, we got a lot of answers. We found up what was holding up funding for G-tube and supplies. We learned how to do PEP more efficiently, we changed enzymes, and tried some new supplements. We also did a kidney function test, and got our results for our sputum turned in a week ago. Annika is culturing  pseudomonas. This is not a good thing to culture with CF. We are aggressively treating it with antibiotics , both orally and inhaled. It is possible that we may have to do IV as well. This bug would totally explain why her cough has repetitively been returning. She is not contagious to anyone, except those with cf......which is me. My doctor is going to monitor me closely also. Everyone always wonders why having 2 people in the same house with this disease is such a big deal. Well cf people are very giving to each other, we like to share germs. This will not stop me from being the mother I have always been. I will continue to hug her and love her, and care for her. But like in the past we will have to be careful not to share utensils, glasses, etc. I will not let this disease take away love from my daughter! EVER. It is an issue we will have to live with. We will always share bugs, because when Annika is sick, she wants her mom. I will not deny that. I will not take that from her, being infected is a chance I will take for my daughter.
Now that we are home our physio has been bumped up to 2-3 half hour treatments, 2 inhaled Tobi treatments, extra Ventolin, and hyper tonic saline treatments. She has to take it easy for 2 weeks in physical activity to prevent the port for being jarred. David and I will do our best to kept treatment on a schedule. All the while letting her be a normal kid. I have had people ask me, why don't you work. Lets see between both Annika's and my cf, and hospital admissions, and physio, clinics, and oh yeah my other child and husband......I can barely function now, and a job on top of that? Really? I stopped attending births, which I miss desperately, but realize it is just not possible. I truly need to focus on my family and health. It does break my heart to be out of the birth scene though.
Some days it feels like our whole life revolves around cystic fibrosis. So much has been effected by it. Family, friends, marriage, health.......time? Some days I just want to throw the towel in, but than that little chipmunk laugh gives me what I need to get pissed at this disease and fight it tooth and nail till the end. This weekend is going to be a long one for sure. I have a head cold, along with my hubby. Parker is going away to Cub camp, and Annika is recovering. Hopefully her fever goes away, and her cough dies down for Monday and school or I fear she will be admitted for IV drugs. Time will tell. I promise to keep you posted on changes. Much love from a cf mom still hanging out in her pj's at 2:30 in the afternoon!